About Laredo Medical Center
In 1894, the motherhouse of the Sisters of Mercy of South Texas was moved from Refugio Texas to Laredo, establishing Laredo’s first hospital which was initially a 12-bed facility. Laredo Medical Center, formerly known as Mercy Health Center, was a nonprofit institution established by the Sister of Mercy, a group of Catholic nuns. Mercy Health Center was sold to Community Health Systems (CHS) in 2003. CHS is based in Brentwood, Tennessee and is the leading operator of general acute care hospitals in non-urban markets throughout the United States.

Today, Laredo Medical Center is a 326 bed community based acute care facility with over 49 specialties and subspecialties. They are the first area hospital to have an accredited Chest Pain Center.

Laredo Medical Center's mission is their commitment to meet the health and medical needs of their community through safe, high-quality and personalized care. They continually advocate innovation and quality improvement to enhance service excellence while maintaining prudent stewardship of the human, physical and financial resources entrusted to them.


Hospital Web Site
Hospital Fact Sheet